Traveling to Jamaica during Covid-19

 


It is now the third week of October and the pandemic that we have had to live with and push through does not show any signs of disappearing. We have all being hoping that it would silently fade away much the same as how it had entered our world and affected our daily lives as we knew it back in early March. However, despite all the political promises and the scientific postulations here we are 8 months later still in the throes of the pandemic. We were told of the first wave and we were warned of a second wave and even a third. Life as we knew it has changed dramatically; some people are the better for it, some people are the worst for it. We are reduced to wearing masks to filter the air and even the tiniest molecule of liquid droplet that the air may contain to stop the spread of the virus.    

Going to the supermarket, the mall, to work, to school are now all dangerous exercises that could get you infected and so we stay at home and watch and communicate with the world through our phones, computers and televisions. We who are not homebodies and are constantly called to wander have been especially affected as travel and especially international travel has been drastically reduced. 

But 7 months plus caged in one location regardless of where it might be have started to take its toll on me. And so after reading airlines protocols of travel, learning about the entry requirements to different countries I decided to make my travel arrangements. For the purpose of this blog I will recount the details of what my experience was traveling from Miami to Jamaica this past week.

Getting Ready to Travel

Firstly, I needed to get a Covid-19 test done. Details of the acceptable types of test are provided on the Visit Jamaica website:  https://www.visitjamaica.com/travelauthorization/ There are private labs that will provide you test results in less than 24 hours at a cost - around $190 to $200. However to avoid this unnecessary expense give yourself a few days to find one of the free mobile testing sites, which is what I did, in order to get a PCR test done. Usually each city has a testing site setup by the county's health department. I got mine done at one of the sites close to me and the process was smooth and with 0 waiting! Maybe, I guess I got there at the right time. Results however are normally returned within 3 to 5 days so make a note of that. I received my results though in less than 48 hours! 

Note: The Jamaican authorities will accept a negative covid-19 test result up to 10 days before you travel. (This 10 days will be from the time you took the test not when you receive the results)

Next, I needed to fill out and apply for a Travel Authorization from the Jamaica Tourist Board. Website: https://www.visitjamaica.com/travelauthorization/  This "Travel Authorization" can only be requested 5 days prior to your travel date. After I submitted my form I received an acceptance email in about 10 minutes.

Once I received my Covid-19 negative test result I printed it as well as the Travel Authorization acceptance to take with me to the airport.

At the airport I went with curbside check in as the documents had to be verified by an agent (no online check in even though the check in email still came). Documents are again checked and verified by the airline at the gate prior to boarding. Of course I must mention observing the general protocols of always having my mask over nose and mouth, talking very seldom or not at all, observing the 3 to 6 feet distance and sanitizing hands as necessary. Yes, it is hard but you have to do it!

Arrival in Jamaica

On arriving at the airport in Montego Bay, there were no dancing girls. Instead I was greeted with a temperature checker. My temperature reading was scribbled on a piece of paper and handed to me. I proceeded to immigration but just before we got there I was directed to a sanitized seat to conduct a short sit down interview with Health personnel. The questions were about how I felt, if I was in contact with anyone with Covid, what countries I visited within the last 6 weeks etc. The health official wanted to know which hotel I was staying and I was then handed a card with the health authority's information in case I fell ill during my stay. 

From there I moved on to immigration processing. Not much opportunity for  6ft social distancing as everyone at this point just wanted to keep it moving. From immigration processing I went towards the baggage claim. I was again stopped as I had to say if I was going to an all inclusive resort or non inclusive. (For persons going to all inclusive resort I learned after, that they would be subject to another short interview on check in at their hotel  regarding what they can do, the areas on the island where they are allowed to go etc.)

I identified as a non-inclusive visitor and was shown to a table where I had another mini interview. They wanted to know the name of the hotel and address where I was staying, and a functional telephone number. I was told I will be restricted to what is called the "resilient corridor" of the island. Note:  There are different categories under which visitors to the island can be classified. Please read traveler categories here as well as information concerning the "resilient corridor" locations and protocols:  https://www.visitjamaica.com/travelauthorization/traveller-categories/ 

The resilient corridor spans the north coast of the island from west to east and most of the southwest which really is largely the tourist areas of the island. Travel in these areas will be restricted to visiting the attractions and traveling with approved certified operators.

Once this information was given I was free to collect my bags and go. It took altogether about an hour and a half to exit the airport. Not because there was a lot of people arriving but because of all the stops I had to take. Not bad considering. But it makes me wonder how much more or a delay I would have had if there were a bunch of flights that arrived at the same time. However these are Covid times and if you plan to travel anywhere at all during this time you must expect delays. 

If  you intend to travel to Jamaica now or during the holidays, for a week or a few weeks, this is a little step by step commentary of what to do and what to expect. If you need any further information or you have specific questions that I may not have touched on here do not be afraid to hit me up by direct message, by email: natasha.james@cruiseplanners.com or call me at 954-453-7310. 

Be safe!

Natasha

Cruise Planners - Sunny Vacation Travel


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 8 Bucketlist Destinations

Almost out of the Dog House